Home / Brunch
Chilli Crab and Prawn Tarts
- Shortcrust pastry
- 20g butter
- 4 thinly sliced spring onions
- ½ a de-seeded and finely chopped chilli
- 12 medium prawns
- 140g chopped crab
- ½ cup (125ml) NESTLÉ CREAM
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped coriander
- Zest of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 6-hole muffin tray.
- Cut 6 x 12cm circles from rolled shortcrust pastry (store-bought or use Chef Lesley easy home-made recipe) and use to line the wells, pressing gently into the base and sides.
- Prick bases with a fork.
- Chill for 10 minutes. Line pastry cases with baking paper and fill with baking beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until light golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt 20g butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat, gently cook 4 thinly sliced spring onions and ½ a deseeded and finely chopped chilli, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 12 medium cleaned, peeled and chopped prawns and cook for 2 minutes, until pink. Remove from the heat and stir in 140g chopped crab sticks, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Mix together ½ cup (125ml) NESTLÉ CREAM, 3 egg yolks, 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped coriander and the grated zest of 1 lime in a jug.
- Remove the paper and beans from the pastry cases.
- Spoon in the crab mixture, then pour in the cream mixture.
- Bake for a 15 minutes until set, but still with a slight wobble. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For the garnish, use a peeler to remove the skin from a cucumber and finely slice a spring onion.
- Place in a bowl of iced water to keep the the garnish green and vibrant, then place on the tarts just before serving.
- Easy Shortcrust Pastry - Enough for a tart/pie to serve 6-8:
- Place 12/3 cup (410ml) flour and 125g chilled and chopped unsalted butter in afood processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (or useyour fingertips).
- Add 1 egg yolk and 2 tbsp (30ml) chilled water and process until mixture comes together in a smooth ball.
- Shape into a disc, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes before using.
- Lightly flour a work surface.
- Roll out the pastry to 3-5 mm thick in the required shape, then use to line the tart pan.