Home / Dessert
Lemon Tart with Caramel
- 1 ¼ cups (310 ml) flour
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) ground almonds
- 125 g cold butter until crumbly
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) iced water
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- ⅓ (80 ml) lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) castor sugar
- ⅔ cups (160 ml) NESTLÉ Dessert & Cooking Cream
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Blend 1 ¼ cups (310 ml) flour, ⅓ cup (80 ml) icing sugar, ¼ cup (60 ml) ground almonds and 125 g cold butter until crumbly.
- Add 1 egg yolk and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) iced water. Process until combined.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a shallow (2 cm deep) round 24 cm loose-based flan tin.
- Lift pastry into tin; press into sides and trim edge. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place flan tin on an oven tray and bake blind ** for 15 minutes.
- Remove and turn oven down to 160ºC.
- Remove paper and beans; bake for another 10 minutes or until lightly browned and remove from oven.
- Turn the oven up to 180ºC.
- For filling, whisk together 1 Tbsp (15 ml) finely grated lemon rind, cup ⅓ (80 ml) lemon juice, 3 eggs, ½ cup (125 ml) castor sugar and ⅔ cups (160 ml) NESTLÉ Dessert & Cooking Cream.
- Pour lemon filling into pre-baked pastry case and bake for about 30 minutes, or until filling has set slightly.
- Remove from oven and cool before placing in fridge until cold.
- For hard caramel top, sprinkle with enough icing sugar to completely coat the tart and, using a blowtorch, heat the top until it melts into a firm caramel layer.