Home / Dinner
Mbali’s Mmmac & Cheese
- 3 cups macaroni
- 60g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 45g cake flour
- 375ml milk, hot
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 can (380g) NESTLÉ Unsweetened Evaporated Milk
- 250g Cheddar or Gouda cheese, grated
- salt and milled black pepper
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 3 spring onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika (optional)
- To Serve:
- fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on pack.
- Once cooked, place the drained pasta back into the pot.
- In a separate pot, melt the butter and sauté the garlic for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the hot milk and stir until well combined and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the mustard, parsley and NESTLÉ IDEAL Evaporated Milk and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked pasta and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring in ¾ of the cheddar cheese.
- Season to taste and transfer the mixture to a large ovenproof dish.
- Top the macaroni cheese with the halved cherry tomatoes, spring onions, if desired.
- Top with the remaining Cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the top of the dish, if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top with extra chopped parsley and serve hot, with crispy bread and/or a seasonal green salad.