Home / Dessert
Saffron Rice Pudding
- 1 cup (185 g) Basmati rice
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) water
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) warm water
- 6 tsp (30 g) butter
- 2 cloves
- 1 can (380 g) ) NESTLÉ IDEAL EVAPORATED MILK
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ¾ cup (180ml) NESTLÉ SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
- ⅔ cup (90 g) sultanas
- 6 tsp (45 g) flaked almonds
- Place 1 cup (185 g) Basmati rice and 2 ½ cups (625 ml) water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Mix a generous pinch of saffron threads with 2 Tbsp (30 ml) warm water and leave to soak.
- Melt 6 tsp (30 g) butter in a heavy-based saucepan; add rice, 2 bruised green cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick and 2 cloves and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 can (380 g) NESTLÉ IDEAL EVAPORATED MILK, 1 cup (250 ml) water; ¾ cup (180 ml) NESTLÉ SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, saffron mixture and ⅔ cup (90 g) sultanas.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Mixture should, however, still be creamy.
- Add a little extra water during cooking if rice seems too dry.
- Remove whole spices and serve pudding hot.
- To serve: scatter 6 tsp (45 g) flaked almonds over pudding and top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.